The Kalan lab welcomes all individuals into our group regardless of race, religion, nationality, socioeconomic background, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, and physical appearance. We commit to creating a safe space, where harassment or discrimination of any form is not tolerated. Although we are trained to approach problems in a logical unbiased manner, we acknowledge that scientific research is not immune to bias. We strive to be aware of these biases and be sensitive to the impact diverse backgrounds and breadth of experience can have on future success. We strive to always treat people with respect, even if we do not always agree. Embracing our differences and perspectives will only serve to support our creativity, innovation, and immersion in science.
We take action by:
- Creating a dedicated space for sharing materials, resources, and reflections about diversity, inclusion, and awareness.
- Keeping the conversation alive.
- Making time and space at lab meetings to discuss our lab values and expectations.
- Participating in campus and community-organized events focusing on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Participating in and contributing to programatic, departmental, and campus-wide efforts and conversations regarding diversity and inclusion.
- Participating in and supporting efforts to increase participation in STEM (Check out Thy’s podcast).